Thursday, May 27, 2010

We do dishes in the shower


This is Katie teaching at the public school. Tyler is the kid in the center, facing the camera.

So there I was (Bruce), teaching at the public school. My lesson for the food category was to pour juice into a cup, and use a straw to drop some in everyone's mouth without ever actually touching them, like a pipette. (We talk in English the whole time about what we are doing). At first I would tighten the juice cap so tight that the kids couldn't open it. I would pass it around the table, and when no one could open it they gave it back to me. I would dramatically blow on the cap, and unscrew it as if it were effortless (I actually had to twist pretty hard, but the kids believed it was magic). I tightened it again, passed it around, and all the kids would try blowing on it before opening it. Again, none of them could open it. Before we moved on, I would have everyone at the table blow on the juice cap at the same time. Then I would take the cap off like it was easy. After all the kids had gotten a few drops and I was done with my lesson (20 minutes), we would rotate kids and I would start over with a new group of about seven kids. After all four rotations, we were done for the day and I was saying goodbye to the kids as they walked off down the hall with their parents. But one kid, Tyler, had other plans. He is our ADHD kid who just got back from Beijing where they tried to cure him with traditional Chinese medicine. Tyler ran past me into my room, jumped over my chair, and squatted down in the corner where my juice bottle was sitting on the floor. I immediately knew what he was doing. He was trying to get some more juice! As I started pacing towards him, I could see him struggling to get the bottle cap off in time to drink some before I caught him. With no success, and upon seeing me, he freaked out and started blowing on the bottle cap as hard as he could. I started laughing so hard I could barely get the bottle away from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment