Sunday, March 14, 2010

How Many Chinese People Can You Fit on a Public Bus?

Aww, Sunday! My favorite day of the week. As I have told you this was a busy week. While we enjoy the cute things our kids say and do we are starting to get worn out. We teach about 72 students each week. It is starting to get overwhelming to teach so many students who either barely understand you or don't understand you at all. And to top it off we are trying to adjust to a culture that is drastically opposite our own. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever done. I keep telling myself that in the end I will have grown so much and will be grateful for this opportunity. But for now, I let Bruce be my rock. Our head teacher, Whitney, has also been an amazing support. She says that the first few weeks are usually brutal for new teachers. Our school has been to sending us to the other two schools in an effort to recruit students for the ILP program as well as their school. Lately, I have felt like a walking advertisement. Whitney said that on her second trip to China her group left their area early to do some demo teaching in a different city 8 hours away. Although at the time it was inconvenient, now that area is the biggest city in China for ILP. They even built a school building that is dedicated solely for the ILP program. Everybody here wants to learn English, so even exposing our kids for just a short period of time could have a great effect on them. At church today, one member suggested we do an "English Corner" at the local University, because the college students here who know English are dying to use it. I think that is something we will look in to. It could prove to be very interesting!

1 comment:

  1. I Love your blog! I am so glad you can post now. Keep it up!
    Love,
    mom colton

    ReplyDelete