Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Beijing Sights and Shopping

Ok so it's been 2 days since we got back to school from Beijing so I'm gonna try to summarize/ remember what we did . . .
The moment we got off the train we were surrounded by like a thousand people! Thanks to my amazing packing skills, we only had one small suitcase and a large purse as luggage. Sean- you would be proud of me! The second thing I noticed is the thick pollution floating through the air. The sky was gray, and it smelled funky. We hopped in a cab and rode to our hostel. Don't let the name (hostel) fool you, it was like an awesome hotel! The beds were soft, there was hot water 24/7, and the service was spectacular! It was located about 2 blocks away from Tienanmen Square. We dropped off our luggage and headed out for some food and sight seeing. As you walk down the streets there are millions of little shops and alleyways. We walked down the biggest side street and found an scrumptious restaurant called 365. It was a "western" restaurant, which means it was American food! Yesssss!!! Just what my body needed. Let me tell you the food was to die for! The food was better even than the States. (We ended up going there 4 more time before the trip was over!) I have not been that full since we came to China. After that we walked to Tienanmen Square. It was cool to see those old buildings. It was exactly what I pictured China buildings to be like. Then a China man came up to me and wanted his friend to take a picture of us . . . yeah it was weird and awkward . . . After that we left to do some shopping.

Possibly the most efficient system in China is their underground subway. It's like playing connect-the-dots for a 3-yr-old! We made it to the Silk Market in no time. I'm at a loss as to how to explain the atmosphere in the Silk Market. It's like a flea market x1000 with the salespeople as persistent as Jehovah's Witness missionaries. My favorite thing about the market is that you see what you want and you get to choose the price. The bargaining was unbelievable (and sometimes sickening). I'd look at a handbag, and ask the price. They say it's usually 3000 RMB, but they will sell it for only 1500. (We didn't even bring that much money to the market in the first place.) I'd shake my head, "Too expensive." They tell me to name my price. I say no more than 100. The salesperson goes down to 800, final offer. We start to walk away from the purse stand. The salesperson yells out, "Ok, 400. No, 300. Ok, 200! 200, to finish!" As we disappear around the corner, we hear them yelling, "Ok, your price, 100!" We were told by several natives to never pay more than 10% of the asking price at the Silk Market, because even 90% off would be a rip-off. Just amazing right! So we got a lot of souvenirs. As we walked out of the market we a lady came up to us offering a bus trip to the Great Wall. Don't be alarmed. This is how legitimate business is done in China. Illegal in the US; totally legal in China.

The next morning at 11am we pile in a van and head for the Great Wall. It was a 2-hour ride. We took a cable car to the top. All I have to say is it's breath taking!!!!!! I didn't even mind the long hike up the stairs. Some parts were so steep we had to use our hands to climb. I didn't realize how stunning it could be! You just have to look at the pictures. We spent most of our time on the rebuilt part of the Wall. However, Bruce and Michaela (a girl from our group) and I climbed through a window in one of the towers and walked about quarter mile on a stretch of the Wall that hadn't been rebuilt. It was the best part! It was all overgrown with little trees and bushes. You could see where the was was crumbling. I could have spent a whole day there! But we had to head back. The next coolest thing about the Wall was riding the toboggan down! If you ever get a chance to go to the Great Wall, DO IT!! We spent the rest of the day shopping at the Pearl Market, which is like the Silk but more clothes, shoes, and purses. I was a supper-shopper. I got 2 pairs of Puma (knock offs) for 60 yuan each(about 10 USD), 2 Coach purses for 75 yuan each, (12 USD) and 2 China tea sets for 75 yuan each. I also got some make makeup, a brush set and mascara for 65 yuan ($10). I was pretty excited. Oh I almost forgot to tell you about something really cool. While in Beijing we saw other white people! It was kinda weird. Every white person says hi to every other white person. I talked to a lady form Denmark, guys form Germany, Australia, and Switzerland, and a few people from the States too.

Our last day of the trip was Sunday. We were able to meet with other LDS people in a business building. There were about 15 of us in attendance. There are about 250 people who are active in our district. The president's wife was kind enough to invite us for an American dinner. It was a sweet taste of home. We had taco stew, rolls, salad, cake, and cookies! Yum! That was the second time in China I was completely full. We decided to take one last shopping trip to the Silk Market. It wasn't as successful. We looked at every purse stand and found some we liked but we couldn't get the sales people to go lower that 100. On our second time around I decided to barter the best I could for a purse I really really wanted and just pay the final price. As I walked up to the stand I saw a man grab the bag I wanted and walk off. I couldn't believe it! The purse I was dying to get had just been stolen! I quickly asked the lady if she had any more. To my disappointment, she didn't have the right color. I guess it wasn't meant to be. We left that evening for Weihai.

I really like train rides! It's smooth and I can sleep comfortably and walk around when I want and use the bathroom with out stopping. And you meet neat people while your riding. One such person was a young boy
(4 yrs old) and his mom and dad. For the last 3 hours of the train ride we entertained him and the surrounding Chinese people with funny faces and a skit involving a frog chin. I hope to get the video of us . . . we'll see. All in all, it was an incredibly fun, amazing, exciting vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment