Thursday, April 15, 2010

It's Not Just Rice, I Can Taste Flour and Salt Too . . .

Switch It! Change It! Rearrange It! Last week our group of teachers decided to redo our weekly schedule. We have been teaching at 3 schools. At our main school, Daguanghua (also where we live), all 8 of us teach every morning (tues-fri), every week. The kindergarten only needs 4 teachers per week (wed, fri, sat), and the public school only needs 4 teachers per week (tues, thurs, sat). For the past two months, we have just been rotating who has to teach at which school each week (kindergarten vs public, then trade the next week), so we all kinda had a steady "pace." However, over the weekend we switched it up. Starting this week, 4 teachers will bear the burden of teaching at all three schools for an entire week. This is called their "hard" week. At the same time, the other 4 teachers get to relax and enjoy an "easy" week, only teaching once each morning at our main school, and being done for the day. It is our turn to have the "hard" week. To tell the truth, it feels the same as every other week we have spent in China. I can't wait until next week.

Well, one of the boy teachers in our group announced that he will be going home on Sunday. Grrrr . . . !!! I suppose it's best for everyone. He was the bum in the group. He has been "sick" for the last 2 weeks. Bruce and I think it is a conspiracy so he can go see his girlfriend who is in another city in China. Not to mention he tends to lie, a lot, about everything, to everyone. Lies, lies, lies. Goodbye to him. But putting all that behind us, I feel like I am starting to get comfortable in China. I ran out of my chocolate from home today. But I found some gummy things that are grapefruit flavored. I think I may write a cook book for Americans living in China who only have a toaster oven and a microwave to work with. I have also found that peanut butter makes everything taste good. I can't decide what food I miss the most. Maybe when we get home we should just have a buffet day where we eat all day, anything and everything we crave at that moment . . . yes, that is what I want!

Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. A buffet it will be then. Togo's, Micky D, and more chocolate will be needed. We are so proud of you two for hanging in there and doing the good work for the little ones.
    The puppies say hi. I tried to give Lucy a cut and came out ok. All the little hairs kept going up me nose and in my eyes - no fun! Lucy keeps trying to escape as we go out the front door. I think she has a boyfriend across the street and in the court.
    Things are fine. Love you both, Dad Graham

    ReplyDelete