Sunday, February 28, 2010

Heavenly Fluffs

Friday:
Have you ever had that dream when you dream of home? You walk in the front door and see your family, and your dogs are hopping up and down and everyone is happy? Yet something feels off.... you can't put your finger on it. Then you wake up and you're in China! This morning kinda felt like that.
6:40 am I opened my eyes and was wide awake. Good thing, too, cuz hot water is from 6:30 to 7:30, and breakfast is from 7:00 to 7:40. So I laid in bed taking in my surroundings and rolled over to see Bruce was already awake. We hopped out of bed and got dressed. Bruce was faster than me so he left with the two other boys for breakfast. 45 minutes later I was ready. I grabbed 2 other girls to get some breakfast but when we got there at 7:44 all the food was gone! We had missed breakfast by 4 minutes!! Feeling sorry for us, one of the Chinese principals took me back into the kitchen and gave us 6 hard boiled eggs and 3 packets of noodles. The girls and I ended up eating an egg each. Needless to say, we were on time for the other 2 meals that day.
Kelly, our foreign affairs officer (Chines representative), showed us around our school. We unpacked and got the internet set up. Minnie, another Chinese teacher who speaks English, took us to the Bank of China to exchange our US dollars for yaun. Then we went to a Walmart-like market to buy some essentials. The most venturous part of the trip was our ride back to the school. We paid a crazy china man 4 yaun (about 50 cents in US money) to drive us home in a 3-wheeled car called a "rabbit". It's like a stick-shift lawn mower with a roof. We can't wait to start teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment